'It's never alright and you could save someone's life'
THE brave mother of a five-month-old baby who developed seizures after being shaken and slapped by his father has urged victims of domestic violence to leave before their children are harmed.
The mother of the boy who was attacked and cannot be named, to protect her and the baby, told The Sunday Mail she had to desperately convince her ex-partner, who has now been jailed for the assaults, to let her call the ambulance for the pale and unresponsive infant.
"We had been together since we were teenagers," she explained.
"I was at a really vulnerable age. He really broke me down and made me believe I wasn't good enough."
The young Queensland mum said the abuse escalated after their first child was born.
"Just before he hurt (the baby), he was trying to settle him and I said I could do it, so he pushed me in the mirror, bashed me into the ground and choked me in front of the baby," she said.
About one year ago, when her son was just five months old, the woman faced every parent's worst nightmare.
"I was at a party and it was one of those really hot days so (my ex) offered to pick the baby up and take him home," she said.
"When I got home he was in the rocker and I saw he had bruises all over his face.
"He was bleeding from his lip and looked really out it and wouldn't respond. Then he started bringing up this brown stuff. (The father) told me the baby had fallen off the bench and he wouldn't let me call the ambulance."
When they got to the hospital, her former-partner lied about what had happened to the child, despite him having subdural haemorrhages and suffering seizures.
"After three months of trying to tiptoe around him, the police interviewed him and he finally confessed''.
It's too early to tell if the infant will have lasting injuries from the attack.
The woman urged other mums to leave, for the sake of their kids.
"If you start hurting someone, where are you going to draw the line? It just gets worse from my experience," she said.
"I feel like I'm still trying to find myself because I was with him for so long but I feel relieved I don't have to walk on eggshells any more."
QUEENSLAND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES
NEW SOUTH WALES DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES
Step up and help someone
FORMER Wallaby Greg "Marto" Martin has a message to anyone who witnesses domestic violence - step forward.
"It's never alright and you could save someone's life," the Triple M presenter told The Sunday Mail.
The breakfast radio host's comments come after the 54-year-old and his brother Jason Martin, 46, last week intervened to stop a man strangling his partner in broad daylight at a bus stop in Stafford.
Mr Martin said the man, who smelt of alcohol, was aggressive towards them and claimed he hadn't touched the woman.
"We couldn't speak much sense to him and we just said, 'Mate, we're going to take this lady to safety'.
"She said he was jealous of her talking to her son on the phone so he smashed her phone and had gone into a violent rage and chased her out of the house to the bus stop, where we saw it happening. There were about 800 cars that went by and no one stopped."
He said it wasn't the first time he had come across domestic violence.
"Years ago, I heard about a husband hurting his wife and I never did anything about it then but now I would. It is never alright and you should always step forward."
May is Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month. The State Government, in conjunction with The Sunday Mail and media partners are running the #do something campaign to encourage Queenslanders to take a stand against the scourge of domestic violence.