Five killed in horror day on Queensland roads

 

Five people are believed to have died after several serious accidents on Queensland roads on Sunday.

Two men in their 20s died when the car they were in hit two utes travelling in the opposite direction on the D'Aguilar Highway Bracalba, west of Caboolture, at about 3.45pm.

"The driver of the car, a 20-year-old man, and a 22-year-old male passenger, died at the scene," police confirmed.

Three men travelling in the utilities were all taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The highway remained closed Sunday night.

In the Bundaberg region, two women died following a two-car crash on Goodwood Rd at Kinkuna.

A 52-year-old woman died at the scene of the, which happened about 4.35pm.

It was initially reported four other people were injured, including a four-year-old girl who suffered a fractured arm.

The patients also included a man in his 30s and multiple women in their 30s who suffered serious injuries and fractures to the neck and chest. All were taken to Bundaberg Hospital.

 

Police later confirmed a second woman, aged 32, died after the crash. They were advised of the death about 9pm.

"Initial investigations indicate at around 4.35pm a gold station wagon collided with a blue Holden Commodore sedan, entrapping occupants in both vehicles," police said in a statement issued before the second death was confirmed.

"The 52-year-old was pronounced deceased at the scene, while four other occupants of the two cars were transported to hospital."

Goodwood Road reopened to traffic around 8.15pm.

In the Wester Downs region, it's believed a driver died in a fiery crash near the town of Tara after a car rolled off a road into an embankment and burst into flames.

The single-vehicle crash occurred 10km out from the town on a small hill along Surat Development Road about 4.20pm.

A Queensland Police spokesman said all they could confirm was that a person was in the car at the time of the crash. The Chinchilla News said it was understood the driver was killed.

One person is believed to have died in a fiery crash at Tara. Picture: Peta McEachern/Chinchilla News
One person is believed to have died in a fiery crash at Tara. Picture: Peta McEachern/Chinchilla News

Sunday's deaths take the total number of people killed on Queensland roads over the weekend to nine.

On Friday evening, an 18-year-old man was killed after his motorbike collided with a truck along the Bruce Highway 45km south of Townsville.

The truck driver was unharmed and traffic in both directions was closed for hours.

Meanwhile, a 28-year-old man was killed and a baby left in a critical condition and flown to the Queensland Children's Hospital after a single-vehicle crash on Friday evening on the Isis Highway at Eureka.

A woman, believed to have been behind the wheel of the car when it left the road and hit a tree, was also taken to the Bundaberg Hospital in a stable condition. On Saturday afternoon, a 67-year-old motorcyclist was killed after his bike collided with a vehicle at Kalunga, west of Innisfail.

On Saturday a 35-year-old Mirani man died in a two-vehicle crash. Police said shortly before 8pm, a 4WD was stationary on a driveway to a property off Mackay Eungella Road and a sedan travelling west left the road and hit the 4WD, killing the driver.

The driver and sole occupant of the sedan, a 33-year-old East Mackay man, was transported to the Mackay Base Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The tragedies bring the state's road toll for the year to 63, 23 more than the same time last year when Queensland experienced its deadliest start to the year since 2015.

Forensic Crash Unit Investigations are continuing.

Originally published as At least one killed on Qld roads


Philip’s unconventional royal romance

Premium Content Philip’s unconventional royal romance

Prince Philip’s rather unconventional romance blossomed into love

Philip’s deep bond with Australia

Premium Content Philip’s deep bond with Australia

Prince Philip visited Australia an astonishing 35 times.

Bar goes into lockdown after man goes berserk in pub rampage

Premium Content Bar goes into lockdown after man goes berserk in pub rampage

'Hotel staff locked everyone down in the bottle shop and bar'