Boy struck by truck out of intensive care
THE nine-year-old boy hit by a truck near his Bells Reach home is out of intensive care.
But Blake Byrne still has long strides to make in his recovery from the accident which many feared he wouldn't survive on April 8.
Family friend Cecilia Schultz visited Blake in Brisbane's Lady Cilento Hospital this week.
She couldn't believe how much progress Blake had made since she last saw him only two weeks earlier.
"He is out of intensive care, in rehab and he is doing an amazing job," Ms Schultz said.
"He is able to move his legs and is kicking a ball."
Two weeks ago, Blake was confined to a bed, didn't recognise anyone and couldn't control his body movements.
"Now he has full control of the use of his arms. He is also getting used to the sound of voices and he is laughing and smiling," she said.
Blake had been crossing the road with his sister and friends from the neighbourhood with his scooter when the accident happened.
Indigo St has been described by other residents as notorious for accidents.
Ms Schultz said it was hoped that Blake's sisters and father Harrison would return home "by the end of the week".
But Blake would remain in hospital for "some time into the future".
"Tahlia, who is 11, has been going to school at the Lady Cilento school for siblings," she said.
"Charlie, who is three, has been at child care."
The fundraising page which had been set up for the family has been closed while arrangements are made for a trust account to be set up.