Boys suffers burns after YouTube fail

TOOWOOMBA police are calling on young people in particular to be responsible and not copy foolish acts they might view on YouTube after a 16-year-old boy ignited flammable liquid and burnt himself at the weekend.

Detective Sergeant Brent Parker, of the Toowoomba Child Protection Investigation Unit, said it appeared the teenager had been trying to emulate something he had seen on YouTube, using kerosene at his family's Gowrie Junction property about 2.30pm Saturday.

Initial reports claimed the boy was trying to make a home-made explosive but police are not quite sure what he was trying to achieve.

"He tried to make something with kerosene, which he spilt on his clothing and, using a lighter, caught fire," Det Sgt Parker said.

"He had viewed something on YouTube and had tried to copy it using kerosene.

"He sustained superficial burns to his face, neck and right hand, and was taken to Toowoomba Hospital.

"We would just ask that people be responsible and not copy such things they see on YouTube, particularly anything involving flammable liquids like kerosene."

Fortunately, the boy's injuries were not considered overly serious, according to police.


Drug stash found on Charleville street, dobbed in by public

Premium Content Drug stash found on Charleville street, dobbed in by public

Police have dealt with two youths who are allegedly connected to a drug offence in...

Western Downs gas company signs government retailer

Premium Content Western Downs gas company signs government retailer

A Western Downs gas company announced a sales agreement with a Queensland...

Community rallies behind family after tragic two-year-old death

Community rallies behind family after tragic two-year-old...

FREE STORY: Western Downs communities are rallying behind a heartbroken Tara family...