​

Charleville man behind bars sentenced over a further offence

A man who is currently behind bars for a serious assault charge fronted the Charleville Magistrates Court on April 7, after he drove while disqualified by court order.

Colin John Mitchell was intercepted by police in St George on December 4 last year.

Police prosecutor sergeant Barry Stevens told the court that while police were conducting route checks they asked Mitchell his reason for being behind the wheel and he told police that his partner was in hospital and needed to get nappies for the kids, but said he knew he was disqualified.

Mitchell’s solicitor Paul Metcalf asked Magistrate Peter Saggers to not extend his client’s jail sentence.

Magistrate Saggers noted the defendant is currently serving time for a grievous bodily harm offence that occurred in Cunnamulla.

“I’ve taken into account your plea of guilt you entered in February this year and the fact that the last time you were before the court for disqualified driving was in 2014,” Magistrate Saggers said.

Mitchell was fined $750 and disqualified from driving for two years.

Convictions were recorded.


Philip’s unconventional royal romance

Premium Content Philip’s unconventional royal romance

Prince Philip’s rather unconventional romance blossomed into love

Philip’s deep bond with Australia

Premium Content Philip’s deep bond with Australia

Prince Philip visited Australia an astonishing 35 times.

Bar goes into lockdown after man goes berserk in pub rampage

Premium Content Bar goes into lockdown after man goes berserk in pub rampage

'Hotel staff locked everyone down in the bottle shop and bar'