Sand mine plans on hold but will return soon
TIME is crawling like sand in an hourglass for Forest Glen residents waiting to learn if they'll be watching sand run into town by the hour.
The proposal for a 100-hectare sand extraction plant to be developed off Old Maroochydore Rd, Malones Rd and Eudlo Flats Rd has been a flashpoint for a community concerned about potential health, environmental and amenity impacts.
Proponents Maroochydore Sands Pty Ltd last month called for Sunshine Coast Council to hold off on making a decision on the development, as the developer tried to iron out an issue over one of the conditions of approval imposed by the State Assessment and Referral Agency.
Maroochydore Sands director Michael Mullins told the Daily today the issue had been sorted out with the State Government and he was also awaiting SARA's notification to come through and for the council to make its decision on the application.
"There was only one issue that we were resolving with the State Government and that's been resolved... I'm expecting SARA to report back shortly," Mr Mullins said.
"We're generally happy with the original set of conditions in the main."
While Mr Mullins may be relatively happy with the conditions imposed by SARA- among them a $100,000 contribution towards repair and rehabilitation of Old Maroochydore Rd- the same can't be said for many in the community.
Should developers be able to suspend council decisions?
This poll ended on 15 April 2016.
Yes, saves time being tied up in pointless court appeals.
No, once they make their submissions that should be it.
I'm not sure, need to know more about the process.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
Diddillibah Progress Association's Stop the Maroochy Sand Mine sub-committee chairman Les Brammah said there were concerns over the effects on local traffic the trucks would have.
Concerns that haven't been eased by recent correspondence with the State Government in which opponents to the development were told the additional vehicles "will not have a major impact" on the state-controlled roads.
"Pretty weak actually," was how Mr Brammah described the conditions for approval imposed on the council by SARA.
"We'll probably end up having to go through the courts to fight it."
He said fund raising works were ongoing as the group builds a legal action war chest to fight for its concerns over the effects on waterways and air quality among others.
The proposal is expected to come before council within about a month of SARA's notification to the council, if there are any changes to the conditions.
The suspension date of the council's decision (which was March 18) runs for three months before the application expires.