VICTIM: Charlie Hinder and his children were killed in a Mount Isa caravan explosion.
VICTIM: Charlie Hinder and his children were killed in a Mount Isa caravan explosion.

Ex-Rocky man believed to have died in explosion

THE man killed in an explosion at Mount Isa last month is believed to have grown up in Rockhampton.

Police last week formally identified the man as 38-year-old Charlie Hinder.

Mr Hinder and his two children, Nyobi, 7, and River, 4, were killed when an explosion ripped through their caravan on July 28.

While investigations into the explosion continue, police have confirmed they are treating the blast as a double murder-suicide.

A statement issued by police said investigators believed explosives were used as an ignition point for the blast, rather than the gas bottles at the scene.

Mount Isa District Officer Superintendent Russell Miller said the explosion had devastated the local community.

"This was a horrific event which has had a significant impact not only on the families, neighbours and friends of the victims but also the wider Mount Isa community," Superintendent Miller said.

The Morning Bulletin understands Mr Hinder was originally from Rockhampton and has family in the region.


CRACKDOWN: Roma police raid multiple homes, seize drugs/cash

Premium Content CRACKDOWN: Roma police raid multiple homes, seize drugs/cash

In one case, a Roma woman in her 20s was charged with possessing meth and sums of...

Have your say on this notoriously unsafe Darling Downs road

Premium Content Have your say on this notoriously unsafe Darling Downs road

The Department of Transport and Main Roads is looking at upgrades to Toowoomba...

Man busted allegedly drink driving mid morning

Premium Content Man busted allegedly drink driving mid morning

A middle-aged man will front the Charleville courthouse charged with multiple...