Local riders gallop into Warrego pony club
PONY CLUB: Young talents competed in the Warrego Pony Club Jim Pugsley Memorial Shield over the weekend, with 36 riders from Warrego, Paroo, Augathella, Dunkeld, Roma, Maranoa, Bendemere, Injune making the trip.
Warrego Pony Club president Mia Egan said it was great to see numbers up from previous years, with the introduction of the open day on Saturday giving riders more opportunities to compete.
"We tried to cater to all age and experience levels so there's something for the adult riders or young riders that wanted the opportunity to jump bigger,” she said.
"It gives riders the chance to compete confidently at their desired level.
"It's about making kids happy.”
Millie Williams was presented with the Roy Bignell trophy at the end of weekend, as local rider with the highest amount of points.
"It was a really tight competition, places were getting swapped constantly throughout the weekend,” Mrs Egan said.
"The main thing was the kids were encouraging each other and showing great sportsmanship.
"For some riders it was their first time and you see them start off a bit sheepish, but by the end they're having a proper crack and it's mainly to do with everyone cheering each other on.
Jim Pugsley Memorial Shield winners
Shield winners - Roma
1. Zoe Cosh (Injune); 2. Millie Williams (Warrego); 3. Alexis Holt (Roma)
1. Jack Cosh (Injune); 2. Dana Gorry (Maranoa); 3. equal Bella Witt (Dunkeld), Keily Gray (Injune), Tahnee Renolds (Warrego)
1. Zoe May (Maranoa); 2. Brooke Lemon (Maranoa); 3. Gabby Egan (Warrego)
1. Maya Jackson (Roma); 2. Ciara Jackson (Roma); 3. Luke Witt (Dunkeld)
1. Alona Laing (Maranoa); 2. Cathy Rosenow (Warrego); 3. Mya White (Warrego)