Jury finds man guilty of attack in a Mackay bar bathroom

UPDATE Friday 11.37am:

A jury has found a man guilty of punching another man's jaw in a Mackay nightclub and causing grievous bodily harm.

Kevin David Thomson, 43, from Grasmere in New South Wales, was sentenced about 6pm yesterday in the District Court in Mackay.

Judge Brendan Butler sentenced Thomson to two years and six months in prison.

The sentence will be suspended after 12 months for an operational period of three years.


A New South Wales man has pleaded not guilty to punching a man at a Mackay bar and fracturing his jaw.

Kevin David Thomson, 43, is on trial in the District Court in Mackay on a charge of causing grievous bodily harm on the night of July 24, 2014.

In an opening statement yesterday, Crown prosecutor Russell Hood told the court the alleged victim had sat down at a bench seat at a now-closed bar on Victoria St.

He said Thomson, who lives near Campbelltown, had walked over to the man and told him he was in his seat.

When the alleged victim gave evidence in court yesterday morning, he said there had been many free seats nearby so he had told the man to "(expletive) off".

He said he then drank and danced and went to the bathroom 20 minutes later.

Mr Hood told the court that when the man was at the urinal he was punched in the jaw and knocked down.

The man gave evidence that he didn't recall the appearance or clothing of the man, other that he was "tall and well-built".

He said he had tried to crawl to a toilet cubicle and was punched repeatedly in the ribs and jaw.

Mr Hood said a security guard saw a man walk out of the bathroom and went in to find the alleged victim bleeding on the ground.

He said the guard took the man outside and, when police arrived, pointed out a man in a convenience store who he believed was the attacker.

Mr Hood said three constables had followed the man on foot and met outside a Mackay hotel.

The man allegedly identified himself as Thomson.

Mr Hood said the police left, then returned to the hotel, where the man was staying, at 2.45am.

They allegedly entered his room and, seeing it had been vacated, conducted car patrols near the airport.

The court was told Thomson had been located in the vicinity of the airport and arrested.

The trial continues today.

ROBBERY: Maranoa servo held up by masked men with machete

Premium Content ROBBERY: Maranoa servo held up by masked men with machete

Police are responding to reports a Warrego Highway service station may have been...

REVEALED: Massive mural art plans for two Maranoa towns

Premium Content REVEALED: Massive mural art plans for two Maranoa towns

Two new outback murals could pop up in the Maranoa Region in the coming years with...

WEATHER: Rain to hit southwest Queensland after heatwave

Premium Content WEATHER: Rain to hit southwest Queensland after heatwave

After scorching temperatures hit many parts of the state, southwest Queensland...