Finally, two parents who lost their son are told 'sorry'
IT WAS the first time anyone responsible for the death of their son had apologised to Brett and Bonnie Scovell.
Sean, 21, was killed after becoming entangled in a conveyor belt at South Moranbah Quarry on June 5, 2012.
Global Crushers and Spares and two directors Stuart Mitchell Weiland and James Andrew Kinross faced a total of nine charges of failing to discharge a health and safety obligation in Mackay Industrial Magistrates Court yesterday.
Each pleaded guilty to two charges and had a third charge dismissed.
Prosecutor Peter Davis explained the company was charged because it failed to ensure the conveyor belt components it manufactured had been installed safely.
"The primary cause of fatality is the absence of guarding on the structure of the conveyor," Mr Davis said. "There was no metal mesh guard."
MCG Quarries and other individuals were charged for their role in the death but will be tried separately.
When asked by Judge Nerida Wilson if he felt remorse, self-represented Mr Kinross said it had "affected him very deeply".
"It's had a big effect on me emotionally. I've had a similar tragedy in my own life," he said.
"I just feel we were very professionally naive."
Mr Wieland's statement was similar: "We're very, very sorry they've lost a son, a brother, a friend."
Mr Scovell said it was nice to see someone taking responsibility for the first time since his son's death.
"It's late coming but nice to hear someone is actually sorry my son died in such a tragic incident," he said.
"It's the first time we've heard an apology from anyone. This is the first court case (after which) I feel I can travel forward."
Following the death of his son, Mr Scovell said the toll on his family had been horrendous.
"To be able to laugh again is a luxury. Everyday there's little reminders (of him). It just rips your heart apart."
Sentencing will be on March 31.