PM defends ‘shameful’ bushfire ad

 

Scott Morrison has spoken out after he was slammed for tweeting a short clip spruiking the Federal Government's latest measures to help deal with the bushfire crisis.

The 50-second video, authorised by the Liberal Party, describes the Morrison government's plan to combat the fires, while upbeat music plays in the background.

It was posted a few hours after the Prime Minister announced a deployment of 3000 ADF reservists, and a $20 million investment to lease four additional firefighting aircraft.

The video has copped heat online, with Twitter users accusing the Morrison government of using the bushfires as a marketing stunt.

 

 

A few hours after tweeting the video, Mr Morrison came out defending it, saying it "simply communicates the Government's policy decisions".

He added, "the same practice is rightly employed by the Leader of the Opposition and the Labor Party. This is required and standard practice in Australia".

 

 

Mr Morrison was also blasted after social media users noted a prominent 'Donate' button on the Liberal Party website page that focused on the bushfires.

The button linked to a page to raise funds for the Liberal Party itself, which some said was misleading.

 

 

 

The Donate button has since been removed.

The latest controversy over Mr Morrison's response to the bushfire crisis came as it was announced the PM's planned trip to India had been cancelled.

The Prime Minister will now stay in Australia in early January to deal with the continuing fire situation.

Mr Morrison and the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke on Friday via phone after which it was announced the planned trade and defence talks between the two countries would be postponed to "a mutually convenient time later in the year"

CRITICISM

Mr Morrison has been plagued by criticism of his response to the fires.

On Thursday, in the NSW town of Cobargo, he was harangued by furious locals.

Footage taken on the ground showed him taking the hand of 20-year-old mum Zoey Salucci-McDermott, even as she told him she didn't want to shake his hand unless he boosted funding for the Rural Fire Service.

Ms Salucci-McDermott, a young mum from Cobargo, was one of the many locals to lose everything as the out-of-control Badja Forest Road bushfire destroyed much of the town on December 31.

She has a 22-month-old girl and is pregnant with her second child.

Criticism also came from members of Mr Morrison's own party. NSW Transport Minister and Bega MP Andrew Constance took a swipe at Mr Morrison, declaring he "probably gave him the welcome he deserved".

Mr Constance barely saved his own home in Malua Bay from an out-of-control bushfire.

"I didn't even know he was coming and I haven't had a call from him".

NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons has also said he was "disappointed" that Mr Morrison's proposal to send 3000 defence force troops to the bushfire zones was not discussed with him beforehand.


Flood warning issued for Balonne Shire around St George

Flood warning issued for Balonne Shire around St George

Balonne Shire Council has issued a flood warning for St George.

'HELPLESS': How women in fight for safety let down

premium_icon 'HELPLESS': How women in fight for safety let down

Domestic violence Queensland: Four DVOs breached every hour in the state

Police find meth in drug user’s house with children present

premium_icon Police find meth in drug user’s house with children present

A repeat drug user with ten pages of criminal history has been given a last chance...