Roma man who police allege chocked ex-partner denied bail
A ROMA man who police allege is an extreme risk to the community has had his bail application refused by a magistrate.
Joshua Luke Pope, who previously spent time in jail for choking suffocation offences, is set to stand trial in the Roma District Court after he allegedly attacked a man in broad daylight in the main street of Roma, then whilst released on bail, allegedly choked and suffocated his ex-partner.
Magistrate Peter Saggers took an entire day to decide whether to grant Mr Pope bail, after he had been charged with a span off offences including, grievous bodily harm, wilful damage, two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm, two counts of choking suffocation strangulation in a domestic relationship, two counts of wilful damage – domestic violence offence and stealing – domestic violence offence.
The Roma Magistrates Court heard on Tuesday, November 24, Mr Pope was charged with grievous bodily harm against Kai Hurzlmeir on July 8.
“He was granted bail by the watch-house keeper at the Roma police station and whilst on that bail, he was charged, among other things, with a choking strangulation offence on August 14 and September 2,” Magistrate Peter Saggers said.
Police prosecutor sergeant David Longhurst firmly submitted Mr Pope not be granted bail.
“The fact that he was on bail for serious violent offences, with a history of serious violent offences then allegedly committed an offence in a relationship and allegedly attacked someone from the community,” sergeant Longhurst said.
Appearing via video link from prison, Mr Pope asked Magistrate Saggers to consider allowing him to wear a tracking device, if he were to be granted bail.
“I can wear a tracking device – I just want to be out with my kids during Christmas,” Mr Pope said.
“I don’t want to be in Roma, I don’t need to be there.
“I’m sorry for my actions, I’ll happily wear the bracelet.”
Magistrate Saggers adjourned the matter to the following day, Wednesday November 25, and told the court he considered Mr Pope’s submission – his commitment to three children and will be living away from Roma.
“I take into account your significant history and submission that the charges are not yet proven,” the magistrate said.
“If convicted, I anticipate his sentence will be a significant one.
“I refused him bail in September and my view, has not changed since then, even with further submissions made yesterday, Mr Pope remains unacceptable and the application is refused.”
Mr Pope sat listening to the magistrate with his head between his hands.
He got up, said “thanks” and walked away.
It is understood he has not entered a plea for those offences and is expected to front the Roma District Court early next year.