Roma teen accused of stabbing man in chest appears in court
The Roma teenager who allegedly stabbed a 19-year-old man multiple times in the chest has had his matter adjourned until later this month.
The then 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, did not have to appear in the Roma Children’s Court today and because the defendant’s solicitor needed to continue reviewing the brief of evidence, the matter was adjourned until March 15 for a committal mention.
Jane Bruxner from KLM Solicitors spoke on behalf of the defendant’s solicitor and requested a three-week adjournment to review the brief of evidence.
“Seeking an adjournment to see if there are any pre-committal issues,” Ms Bruxner said.
Magistrate Peter Saggers said the matter has been in the solicitor’s hands for some time and the case needs to hurry along.
Police prosecutor sergeant Heather Whiting agreed with the Magistrate and noted the brief of evidence was sent to the solicitor on December 17 last year, before a video was sent on January 15 and has since been in the solicitor’s hands.
The solicitor said they would provide an update at the next court sitting as to whether there will be an application to cross-examine.
The alleged stabbing happened on August 18, 2020, near the Roma Police Station on Conroy St.
The victim was flown to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane.
Police located the alleged offender on Major and McDowall St shortly after the incident.
He was charged with one count of grievous bodily harm and possessing a knife in a public place.
The teenager is currently out on bail.