Mum oblivious to tiger snake bite, thought it was plastic

LIVING in the heart of Gatton, Rachelle Boekel never thought she'd be bitten by a snake in her own driveway.

The mother-of-five was bitten on the leg but she first thought it was a piece of plastic cutting her leg when a gust of wind blew through.

"I think if I had known it was a snake I would have had a heart attack," she said.

"That's probably what kept me so calm - not knowing." Ms Boekel was outside and the snake came from under a parked car.

"It felt like a McDonald's cup lid had hit my leg," she said.

"I ran after some rubbish, then the pain was terrible, my leg felt hot, stinging and I was in absolute agony."

Luckily for Ms Boekel she was on her way to Ipswich Hospital for her son's appointment where nurses told her it wasn't a spider bite, but a snake bite.

She stayed in hospital overnight and was given anti-venom once doctors determined it was a tiger snake.

Ms Boekel said she had now invested in a pair of long gumboots.


Repeat youth offenders targeted with ‘suite of initiatives'

Premium Content Repeat youth offenders targeted with ‘suite of initiatives'

Commissioner: ‘suite of initiatives’ used to target youth crime

Man faces ‘absolute’ loss of licence after decades old Roma charge

Premium Content Man faces ‘absolute’ loss of licence after decades old Roma...

A man charged with disqualified driving from the 70s could face losing his licence...

Two arrested after alleged armed robbery of Maranoa servo

Premium Content Two arrested after alleged armed robbery of Maranoa servo

Police have tracked down and arrested two people after they allegedly held up a...