Woman bitten by snake at Australia Zoo
A REPTILE handler at Australia Zoo has been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure after being bitten by a non-venomous snake.
Paramedics were called to the Sunshine Coast wildlife zoo run by the family of late crocodile hunter Steve Irwin about 11.15am.
A spokeswoman said the 28-year-old woman was bitten at the Sunshine Coast hinterland property while undertaking her daily zoo-keeping duties.
The snake is not believed to be venomous but could not be formally identified, according to the zoo spokeswoman, so paramedics transported her to hospital for observation.
One of our zoo keepers was bitten by a wild snake in one of our back paddocks this morning while doing normal zoo keeping duties and is fine— Australia Zoo (@AustraliaZoo) May 6, 2015
"The zoo keeper is fine. While we don't believe the snake is venomous, it could not be formally identified therefore we are following all standard procedures that we recommend any one do when bitten by a snake," the spokeswoman said in statement. Read more at Brisbane Times